Tuesday, June 07, 2005

My Fambly, part 1

I am envious of those of you with wonderful extended families. I really wish that I could say I am close to my relatives, but I can't. This entry isn't about pity. It's about the strange, fucked-up "family" known as "mine." I know that I am not alone in this, and that some of you had it much worse than me, but here is my story anyway.

Unfortunately, my most favorite family member, my beloved mom, died of a rare leukemia in 1997. We didn't even know she was sick, got a diagnosis and 5 days later she was GONE. Three weeks later, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 36. Couldn't even cry on my mommy's shoulder. A real tragedy since she and I had been thisclose.

That left me with my dad, who had been a turd for most of my life and now needed my "care," since he was virtually an invalid who'd been burped & powdered by my mother and I am a nurse and the only daughter. Greaaaaaaaattttttt. Fuck. The promise I made to my mother on her deathbed (when she asked me to move my dad to MY house) was carefully worded as, "He will be taken care of."

Can't forget my older brother! He used to beat the living shit out of me daily when my parents were at work. I had bruises. LOTS of them. BIG ones. As I would try to run & call my dad at work, he'd pick up the extension so that I couldn't dial out. And then he'd laugh maniacally in my ear. This went on until I was about 13 and nearly killed him when I turned on him suddenly as he was chasing me upstairs. I'd had enough and just SHOVED him with all my strength. He's lucky I hadn't broken his fucking neck.

He hadn't been treated well by my dad EVER. No beatings, but psychological abuse at its best. My brother always thought that my dad loved ME more, but I knew better.

He just DISLIKED me LESS.

When my dad FINALLY died in 1999, and we officially became "orphans," I really thought my brother and I would become closer. We live less than 10 miles from each other, but only see each other when I make the effort. Same with phonecalls. Oh well, maybe it's for the best.

There are no such things as "family gatherings" anymore, since my mother was the ultimate matriarch and held us together. When she died, that glue dissolved. Oh, we TRIED to make Christmas Eve work for 2 years but failed miserably for the following reasons:

1. The traditional prime rib dinner was NOT the same without my mom in her light-up blinking apron. I am a great cook, but couldn't duplicate the atmosphere that she created.





ummmm--the rest edited out to preserve fambly relations :)

6 Comments:

Blogger GA girl said...

I am soo glad you are posting again!!!

That actually sounds quite a bit like my family, only difference being that I didn't shove my brother down a staircase, I chased him with a steak knife. And then stabbed a wall to prove if he came near me again I would knife him just as easily as the kitchen wall. Course I later got in mega trouble for running in the house with a knife, but overall, it was worth it.

Can't wait to hear more about your fam. Luckily for me, it was only my brother, father and his side of the fam that were screwy. Sounds like you've got plenty of nuts in your trailmix. Keep the posts coming! Look forward to continueing the reading.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Celebrate Woo-Woo said...

Your relationship with your brother immediately reminded me of the one ga girl has with her brother...as she said;>

Sounds like we're gonna have some great reading ahead...can't wait!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Lost said...

My brother and I had that kind of relationship too. I still like him but I don't really know him any more - and his girlfriends are freaks-on-parade. I guess nothing can yank your chain like family can.

12:15 PM  
Blogger GA girl said...

fugly looks like a guy in really bad drag

1:51 PM  
Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Oh. My. Gawd.

Those pictures are something else--Jabba the Hutt works great as a description of Fug's mom...and FUG?? Well-named! Is that a Glamor Shots pic by chance???

Sorry, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!

7:38 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

1. Fugly looks like an ugly man in drag. NO. Seriously.
2. Perhaps I'd be sullen too, if my mom looked like that.
3. Were we separated at birth? Switch mom to dad, and I think we're related, oh, and my sister is an LPN... interesting parallels.
4. I have a similar relationship with my brother, whose wife is just as beastly looking and cuntly behaved... oh... they're spawning. She's pregnant. Blech.

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home