Saturday, October 08, 2005

It's My Month and I'll Share if I Want To

Here's MY contribution for breast cancer awareness month (I am refusing to capitalize this "holiday." Just because!).



Do monthly breast exams. You'll be your least lumpy and least tender on day 10 of your cycle (10 days AFTER your period STARTS). For menopausal women, pick 1 day a month (maybe the day they test tornado sirens) and do it that same day every month.

If you don't know what you're feeling, have your partner do it since they usually spend more time there than WE do.

Make a Boob Diary--get a notebook, draw a pair of boobs in it and plot out exactly where you feel stuff. Every month, bring it out for reference. Add anything new. Erase things that have gone away. GET TO KNOW YOUR BOOBS!

When you do an exam, you need to check all the way up to your collarbone and all the way over to your breastbone. Not just the fatty part of your boobs and your underarms.

Do this faithfully every month. Get good at it. If I had done them right, I may have caught my cancer a bit earlier.

Get your mammograms done! This is how my cancer was found. My mammogram was clear one year and showed cancer the next. It only showed a spot about the size of a thumb, but in reality, my total tumor growth was almost 10 cm --the size a woman needs to dilate to deliver a baby!

So take care of yourself & get them boobies looked after! Your family and friends want you around for a lonnnnnnnng time--no matter HOW big a pain in the ass you are!

9 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

I lost my aunt to breast cancer when she was only 41, and yet I have had doctors tell me that there is no reason for me to get a mamagram until at least 40. Pffft. Congratulations on beating the disease and thank you for reaching out to others to help them learn the things they need to watch for.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for being brave. There's info on your short post I never heard before.....after all this time.

Go, you!

Foxy

7:42 AM  
Blogger GA girl said...

Jessica, get new docs. I am supposed to start Mammograms in 5 years. I will be 30. Granted mine was a mom and not an aunt, but I'd still get new docs.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Floyd's Lists said...

Floyd has noticed that there are now two women who have posted here with pictures of their cleavage. Floyd is impressed. Also, Floyd has noticed his boobs have gotten saggy lately. Any suggestions?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

Fantastic advice! Great post!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome post! thanks for the premenopausal tip...duh! just pick a day! don't know why I never thought of that, but now that you thought of it, I have no excuse.

you're so blunt: "GET TO KNOW YOUR BOOBS!" I love it!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Amen sista..amen.
Take care of your tits. PLEASE!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

this was so great!
thanks for sharing it!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Lois Lane said...

Badge of fucking honor woman! Thank you for candidly sharing. I hope your health is perfecto now!
Lois Lane

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home